Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Meditating while the head is down causes depression.

I did read it somewhere to not bring the head down during meditation as it can cause depressive thoughts. Sometimes, when I am in the temple/ gurdwara, I don't like other people watching me, they probably don't, its just my perception; then I feel like lowering my head. this doesn't help but cause drowsiness and a week later depressive thoughts, I think.

I believe I am a really optimistic person generally but have caught myself saying really negative things. Did the search on 'pregnancy and deperession'. May be the meditation is merely bringing to surface what already exists deep down as mentioned in the forum http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2855oread

I liked Darko's post on this forum
"Belly breathing removes dissociation in 5 to 10 minutes. Relaxed belly breathing (diaphragmatic) increases the willingness to experience "that what is", even if it is pain or discomfort. That is why Tao-Masters teach to start and end every meditation in the lower "Dantien" (belly, hara, navel-center, etc...). By this means you can ground yourself deep in the body and go sure not to run away from unwanted thoughts and emotions but to feel "thru" it. To stay here and now, in the present moment. Shallow chest-breathing has exactly the opposite effect."

No comments: