Monday, June 1, 2015

neuroscience and meditation experiences

There is consistency in the kinds of experiences people have during meditation or when they have near death experiences. One of them is seeing yourself out of your body. Angular gyrus in the brain is responsible for balance and touch. The site http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/obe.html explains the link between out of body experience and angular gyrus.Weak  stimulation of the right angular gyrus caused the patients to report the feeling of 'sinking into the bed' as mentioned in Betty Eddings book 'embracing the light'.

Stronger stimulation caused out of body experience. One patient reported seeing herself lying in bed, from above, but only saw her legs and lower trunk." At other times she reported feelings of "lightness" and of "floating" two meters above the bed. 

These experiences are identical to those of meditators. My own very first experience of floating meters above was at the age of three or four. I never forgot that experience. I had my hair washed and wet when dad called us to meditate for a short period before having our breakfast. Being a little child, I first tried to open one eye to check what other siblings were doing and when I realised that nobody was playing games, I decided out of boredom to actually give it a go and started chanting. Within less than five to ten minutes, I was floating at least a meter above ground. It was a great experience but out of excitement I opened my eyes and was disappointed to see that I was firmly sitting on the ground.


No comments: