Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The inquisitive self

Do you get a buzz out of learning something new? Do your eyes wide open with excitement when you find out something about this world you never knew? Are you deeply interested in how this world work? What makes the planets follow a certain path and not go exploring other solar systems? And the questions go on and on. The thirst for knowledge never quenched, and that's me. In my mid 40s, I am still stuck on finding a solution and changing the one fact about humans that I read in the first self help book I bought with my 20 odd rupees, in my teen years. It said that most humans only use about 10% of their brain. The science experiments show that when we perform a task, certain areas of the brain light up, not all areas. Have a deep breath and mull over this question before you try to simply accept this fact.
What will happen if we suddenly learn to use the brain to its full capacity? Can you imagine being the genius you always wanted to be in school and you thought you were as a young adult and then suddenly you started noticing that you were just an average person who is capable of making silly mistakes. The first time I caught myself making a mistake while operating the cash register, I was mortified. I never knew that I could make such mistakes, I thought those email reminders to slow down to avoid mistakes and discussions in staff meetings were all to alert other staff, not for me; until I caught myself.
Such is life, unless you realise it yourself, you don't try to change your ways. When other people point out your shortcomings, they are just silly people who don't appreciate you but when you become aware of them yourself, you try to do things differently or shall I say with more awareness. The day you start admitting your mistakes, you have matured but it's only when you start doing actions with more awareness, you start to move towards spiritualism. Now you don't only note your shortcomings but their impact on others. Now you are no longer the teenager who wants to create the most ripples in the pond to gain maximum attention, you want to provide the maximum benefit to others with least amount of attention. Now you are acquiring the godly qualities. He is silent, taking invisible actions but ever present in each moment.
Gently close your eyes, take a deep breath with full awareness of where it's coming from and where it is going. Engage all five senses in each breath. When eyes are closed, you can visualise easily to see. So see the path, your breath is taking. Hear any surrounding noises. Without uttering any sound, speak a sacred word and repeat it, so you don't hear the outside noises anymore, focusing on the word. Let your skin feel the air touching your hair on your arms and head. Breath again and try to sniff the natural smell of the area you are in. You are fully aware, utilising all your senses. Go and explore the invisible world. The more goodness you will have in your heart the invisible doors will open for you. Your brain and ego are both tamed now, by your breath and the word you are uttering without speaking. 

No comments: